the snd_hda stuff

Fri Jan 4 01:46:52 PST 2008

Quoting Chuck Robey <chuckr at chuckr.org> (Thu, 03 Jan 2008 12:49:05 -0500):

> supposed to work.  Reading the datasheet on the Analog Devices AD1988B
> tells me (if I trust the advertising wording in that datasheet) that the
> AD1988B is supposed to handle Dolby's AC3 and the DTS 5.1, 6.1, and 7.1
> encoding, so I also found the specs on those encodings, which happen to
> exist on the web also.
>
> So, my first question is, would it be legal to stick these great docs on
> our website for folks to download?  Or, if that wasn't legal, maybe if I
> supplied the URL's, could we maybe show hotlinks for them?  I know nothing
> about the legalities of that, I need advice on what's legal, but I'd sure
> like to make what I've gathered available to everyone.

If the docs don't say it is allowed to distribute them, you better
assume we are not allowed to distribute them.

> Because the chip design is so very configurable, the man page is
> particularly badly needed, but unfortunately, it gives me very little info.
>  Is there maybe some doc I haven't yet found, that might help me understand
> how I could use the snd_hda driver?  How to configure it, what the inputs

Unfortunately not. We have an idea list entry open for documenting the
sound system...

> and outputs are?  I can't make use of it as it stands now.  I would be
> willing to help on the driver, if it needs more, so if there's any more
> documents on either how it works, or maybe how folks want it to work?
> Please, help me on this.  For a device that's so different, the need for
> documentation is badly needed.

You could join the IRC channel #freebsd-azalia on freenode. Ariff is
hanging around there frequently. He can answer questions. Feel free to
provide patches which improve the documentation.

You can also read the lower half of
http://people.freebsd.org/~ariff/README to see what info he needs to
get your soundchip working.

Bye,
Alexander.

--
When things are going well, someone will inevitably
experiment detrimentally.