Can't record through /dev/dsp (FreeBSD 6.3)

Naram Qashat cyberbotx at cyberbotx.com
Tue Feb 26 02:31:04 UTC 2008

I used to be able to record with my microphone in the past under FreeBSD (might
have been 6.2 or earlier), but since upgrading to 6.3, I am unable to record.
As an example, when I try to use Audacity, I get the following in the console:

[kirby ~]> audacity
PaHost_OpenStream: could not open /dev/dsp for O_RDWR
PaHost_OpenStream: ERROR - result = -10000
PaHost_OpenStream: could not open /dev/dsp for O_RDONLY
PaHost_OpenStream: ERROR - result = -10000
PaHost_OpenStream: could not open /dev/dsp for O_RDONLY
PaHost_OpenStream: ERROR - result = -10000

This also affects Skype for me as well.  I am able to still hear sounds from
applications, such as XMMS.  I also get a Device Busy error when I try to cat
from /dev/dsp to anything.

[kirby ~]> uname -a
FreeBSD kirby.cyberbotx.com 6.3-RELEASE FreeBSD 6.3-RELEASE #0: Wed Jan 23
16:14:04 EST 2008     root at kirby.cyberbotx.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/CBXKERN  i386

[kirby ~]> cat /dev/sndstat
FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm)
Installed devices:
pcm0: <nVidia nForce 4 MCP> at io 0xf800, 0xf600 irq 5 bufsz 16384 kld snd_ich
(1p/1r/32v channels duplex default)

As a side note, would trying the OSS 4 drivers have any difference in getting
this to work?  And if I need to provide any more information, let me know.

Thanks,
Naram Qashat