Unable to get OSD (and probably subtitles) in MPlayer

Lars Stokholm lars.stokholm at gmail.com
Sat Aug 30 16:44:31 UTC 2008

On Sat, Aug 30, 2008 at 6:15 PM, Stefan Ehmann <shoesoft at gmx.net> wrote:
> What works for me:
>
> make to have multimedia/mplayer-fonts installed
> $ cd /usr/ports/multimedia/mplayer
> $ make install-user

Thank you for your reply, but I prefer using freetype and as I
understand it, install-user only works for bitmap fonts.

Here's something from the install log:

mplayer-0.99.11_5 depends on shared library: iconv.3 - found
Checking for iconv ... no
Checking for freetype >= 2.0.9 ... no (iconv support needed)
Checking for fontconfig ... no (freetype support needed)
Checking for SSA/ASS support ... no (FreeType support needed)

I'm not sure if this is the cause of my problems, but it seems like it
to me. Why does it say "Checking for iconv ... no" when the share
library iconv.3 is found?