RFC: massive snd_hda driver update to better conform UAA

Alexander Motin mav at FreeBSD.org
Wed Aug 13 14:37:07 UTC 2008

Henry Hu wrote:
> There are 2 codecs shown, one is Realtek ALC262, one is unknown.

Unknown codec is probably software modem. It is unsupported.

> There are two pcm devices, both are labeled Realtek ALC262.
> I don't know what's pcm1, since I play to dsp1.0 result in nothing.
> There is a HDMI port on the laptop, maybe that's pcm1 or that's driven
> by the unknown codec.

It may be HDMI or may be some other port. Your codec supports two analog
playback channels and three recording ones, one HDMP playback and one
recording. More information about real routing you can find from verbose
dmesg output.

> There is Intel 82801H High Definition Audio Controller as hdac0.
>
> Both the built in mic and the mic in works. They work at the same time here.
> There are three recording source: mic, mix and monitor. I do not know
> what do they mean.

monitor is probably a built in mic, mic is an external mic in and mix is
sum of all inputs.

Looking to your codec datasheet I can see that two first recording
channels are mixed and third is multiplexed. Which channels will be used
depends on pin configuration. Mixed more likely will be used first as
they have smaller IDs, but digital mic port (this may be your buit in
mic) can be routed only to multiplexed one so it may pull some other
other input with it.

In case of mixed recording you can't select recording source at this
moment, but should be able to mute them independently by setting their
volume to 0.

--
Alexander Motin