via8233 and digital out again

Marat N.Afanasyev amarat at ksu.ru
Sat Oct 13 03:03:01 PDT 2007

Andrew Pantyukhin wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 11, 2007 at 09:44:10AM +0400, Marat N.Afanasyev wrote:
>> Hello!
>>
>> i'm curious whether s/p-dif on via8233 is working at all or not. can
>> anybody tell me a success story? i've knew that Ariff said 'making s/p-dif
>> on via is too trivial than any mammal can do it without making a noise' but
>> i suppose i'm not a mammal at all, because i cannot make it work :(
>
> I have to use audio/oss to enjoy digital audio.

hmmm. i know this workaround, but:

1. on rusnet's #freebsd i was told that people experienced system panics
while using oss
2. oss needs to be installed separately
3. hw.snd.pcm0.spdif_enabled exists for snd_via8233 ;)
4. mpg321 refuses to play to oss /dev/dspX, saying no buffer can be
allocated

--
SY, Marat