sound documentation for the snd_hda (Nvidia)

Mon Nov 26 00:25:35 PST 2007

Quoting Chuck Robey <chuckr at chuckr.org> (from Sun, 25 Nov 2007
14:59:01 -0500):

> Where do the developers of the HDA code hang out, on this list?  Is the
> snd_hda the current hda driver, and if so, where's the new code going
> to be?

The current HDA driver is in -current. RELENG_7 is on par (AFAIK).
RELENG_6 is "close", but you are better of with RELENG_7 or HEAD. Yes
this is the right list, and the only developer working on the HDA
front and our sound infrastructure I'm aware of is Ariff (sorry to the
2 others which work on the envy and creative drivers, but for this
discussion you don't count ;-) ). He seems to be short of time ATM.
You could try to catch him on #freebsd-azalia on freenode.

I'm not aware of a major rewrite in the HDA part. Ariff seems to be
working on something else: http://people.freebsd.org/~ariff/

So feel free to dig into the sound code (we wouldn't mind to get some
patches which document the sound system a little bit more ;-) ). I
think there are also some tunables (loader.conf) you could try to get
some "routing/quirks" tested for your soundcard. HAve a look at the
recent HDA mails here on multimedia at .

Bye,
Alexander.

--
  Bender: Stay away from our women. You got metal fever, baby, metal fever!