[snd_hda] Choppiness under high cpu - STABLE

Norberto Meijome freebsd at meijome.net
Tue May 29 04:08:44 UTC 2007

Hi guys,
Hi Ariff :)

For a month or so I've been using your binary blob,
sndkld_releng6_i386_lowlatency_20070426.tar.gz . It worked great, ( and so did
previous releases - thanks so much!)

( date in filename seems strange, as all the files are dated between 4th  and
7th of May 07)

My sound card is :
pcm0 at pci0:27:0: class=0x040300 card=0x05b71014 chip=0x26688086 rev=0x03 hdr=0x00
    vendor     = 'Intel Corporation'
    device     = '82801FB/FR/FW/FRW Intel High DefiNition Audio Controller'
    class      = multimedia

It is detected in dmesg as :
pcm0: <HDA Codec: Analog Devices AD1981HD>
pcm0: <HDA Driver Revision: 20070505_0044>

kldstat:
 4    1 0xc0907000 13be0    snd_hda.ko
 5    2 0xc091b000 3dadc    sound.ko

Anyway, a few days ago I upgraded my kernel + world to -STABLE:

FreeBSD ayiin.octantis.com.au 6.2-STABLE FreeBSD 6.2-STABLE #1: Sat May 26
12:31:11 EST 2007     root at ayiin.octantis.com.au:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/AYIIN
i386

which includes its own snd_hda :). Now, this version of the module (the one
included in /usr/src, basically), outputs choppy sound when under high cpu
load. It also seems to be doing small chirps every now and then (Very
strange :D ).

I replaced all the s*nd*.ko from -stable with your binary files and it all
works sweet again.

I haven't done any particular configuration , other than :
hw.snd.maxautovchans=8

in /etc/sysctl.conf.

Is there anything I can do to help figure out what the problem is?

thanks!!
{Beto|Norberto|Numard} Meijome

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak, and remove
all doubt.

Warned.