HDA merge breaks 6-stable

Ariff Abdullah ariff at FreeBSD.org
Mon May 21 00:40:46 UTC 2007

On Mon, 21 May 2007 12:04:32 +1200
Michael Butler <imb at protected-networks.net> wrote:

> My apologies for the cross-post ..
>
> The merge of HDA support seems to have broken my Toshi A105-S4004
> laptop. Any attempt at sound output, e.g. logging onto to KDE,
> freezes it solid requiring a power-cycle to recover.
>
> Per the debugging notes ariff@ posted some time back for the
> RELENG_6 patch, I've attached two dmesg/sysctl outputs,
> 'sound-good.txt' is prior to the merge, 'sound-bad.txt' is after.

Ok, this probably weird, but please try enabling vchans early enough
before login/X. You have either hw.snd.maxautovchans or
hw.snd.pcm0.vchans to play with.

Virtual channels is disabled by default on RELENG_6 due to issues with
other drivers, which I intend to fix and enable it as default sooner.

--
Ariff Abdullah
FreeBSD

... Recording in stereo is obviously too advanced
    and confusing for us idiot ***** users :P ........