users of the pvrxxx port, please help test this update - or users with a PVR150/500 and unsupported tuner

Anders Troback freebsd at troback.com
Thu Mar 15 19:10:32 UTC 2007

On Fri, 9 Mar 2007 10:12:34 -0500
"Jim Stapleton" <stapleton.41 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've updated the port a bit and would like some feedback as to
>
> (a) Did I break anything
> (b) Does it work as it appears to work for me.
>

> What this update does:
> 1) No more hand patching for known tuners
>    - that includes distfiles for your Mako rom
>    - that includes fbsd-compat.c for your Mako rom size
>    - sorry, if your tuner is unknown, it doesn't handle that
>
> 2) Support for the Philips FM1236 MK3 tuner and API copatible tuners,
> such as the TCL MFNM05-4. These include tuners identified by the
> codes:
>    - 0x3A
>    - 0x56
>    - 0x67
>
> I have tested this new model using an 0x67 tagged tuner for TV (VHFI,
> VHFIII, UHF) but not yet FM (should work). Composite video appears to
> work, but svideo does not, and will not be nearly as trivial of a
> task, I am sorry; I will try, I will ask more innane questions in the
> process.
>

> File:
> http://www.thestapletons.org/jim/pvrxxx_port_base.tbz
>
> use (this assumes you downloaded the file to ~/):
> #Go to the multimedia section of ports
> $ cd /usr/ports
> #Backup the original pvrxxx port:
> $ tar -jcvf ~/pvrxxx-original.tbz pvrxxx/
> #extract the current pvrxxx port
> $ tar -jxvf ~/pvrxxx_port_base.tbz
> #make sure you have the require ROM and sys file in distfiles.
> #I'll assume you've done this already, so you don't need instructions
> on it #you still also have to run the iic_bus patch and rebuild the
> kernel with it, #if you haven't already.
>
> #make!
> $ cd pvrxxx; sudo make clean install
>
> #done! You should have no errors, and your tuner should work, no hand
> patches required.
>
> If the make fails:
> $ cd ..; sudo rm -rfv pvrxxx/*
> $ tar -jxvf ~/pvrxxx-original.tbz
> #use your previous build methodology from here
>

> Question: The instructions on the requisite iic_bus patching are not
> in the base directory as far as I can tell. It looks like you aren't
> supposed to put that kind of thing in pkg-descr, is there any place
> that installation instructions can be place? I was thinking of making
> a pkg-install-instructions file, but I'm not sure if the powers that
> be would approve...
>
> Thank you,
> -Jim Stapleton

Hi,

I know that this may a bit late but...

First a minor correction in your description, it's
"cd /usr/ports/multimedia" and not just "cd /usr/ports" :-)

The port will not build:
===>  Patching for pvrxxx-20060822
===>  Applying FreeBSD patches for pvrxxx-20060822
Ignoring previously applied (or reversed) patch.
1 out of 1 hunks ignored--saving rejects to modules/cxm/cxm/Makefile.rej
=> Patch patch-cxm failed to apply cleanly.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/multimedia/pvrxxx.

\\troback

How many Microsoft employees does it take to screw in a light bulb?
None, they declare darkness a new standard.