LIRC guide for FreeBSD

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at FreeBSD.org
Wed Mar 14 05:41:20 UTC 2007

On Tuesday, 13 March 2007 at 23:56:23 -0400, Joe Auty wrote:
> Does anybody know of a good resource for setting up my IR Blaster
> within FreeBSD?

Not I.  Are you sure it's supported?  Currently very few remote
controls are.

> I think I have a good lircd.conf with information about my remote,
> but I'm sure I'm missing some information about how to get the
> kernel modules I'll need to generate my /dev/lirc0.

Are you sure you need a /dev/lirc0?  I'm running lircd with a DVICO
USB remote control on one of my machines, and there's no /dev/lirc0
there.  If you do need it, you'll probably have to port the kernel
modules.  What kind of interface does it have?

> Perhaps this might be a better question for a different FreeBSD
> list?  Just thinking about you guys since many seem to know the
> score in getting MythTV setups to work...

The list is probably right.  And I'm making progress with my
"installing MythTV on FreeBSD" documentation at
http://www.lemis.com/grog/HOWTO/mythtv-on-FreeBSD-setup.html This is
still pretty rough about the edges; I'll work on it when I'm sure I
know what I'm doing.

Greg