any application that can read straight form a tv tuner device?

Jim Stapleton stapleton.41 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 8 19:46:47 UTC 2007

i.e.

$ SomeMpegViewer < /dev/cxm0

would alow me to use my TV tuner? The application would be used ONLY
for video/audio. Channel changing and such would be handled by another
appliation on the command line.

I tried mplayer since it was supposed to be able to handle mpg videos
from stdin, however it gave me an error saying there was too much data
per packet (I don't have it with me at the moment, so I can't say
exactly what it is)

I found that, if I have enough delay between the two commands,
$ cat /dev/cxm0 > /tmp/tvfile
$ noatun /tmp/tvfile

does the job I need, but, it has some latency, which can be
problematic (especially if I were playing a console game), also it
tends to create a rather large file, unncecessarily.

Thanks,
-Jim Stapleton