command line only cd and dvd ISO ripping ...

Andrew Elmore aelmore at interwoven.com
Thu Jun 28 21:11:24 UTC 2007

On Thu, Jun 28, 2007 at 01:03:11PM -0700, Gore Jarold wrote:
> I would like to archive my audio CDs by making full,
> perfect copies of them in ISO format.
>
> I seem to be doing this properly, but I would like a
> sanity check on my command line - can someone tell me
> what the "correct" command line is for making a
> PERFECT iso duplication of an existing audio CD ?

You don't mention what command you're using...

> I want to get this right because if my command line is
> solid, I will "never have to rip my cds again" (which
> I've said a few times in the last 10 years)

As I understand it, a typical audio CD doesn't implement an ISO
filesystem.  The implementation is complicated and difficult to read
from in a reproducible way, hence the need for tools like cdparanoia.

And to make matters more complicated, dual-mode audio/data CDs exist
as well -- just archiving the ISO filesystem would skip the audio
data.

Andrew