Making clips Windows Media Player likes

Nikola Lecic nlecic at EUnet.yu
Tue Jun 5 16:55:41 UTC 2007

Hello

On Tue, 05 Jun 2007 09:59:03 -0600 (MDT)
"M. Warner Losh" <imp at bsdimp.com> wrote:

> In message: <20070605162424.0510a425 at localhost>
>             Norberto Meijome <freebsd at meijome.net> writes:
> : On Mon, 04 Jun 2007 22:15:10 -0600 (MDT)
> : "M. Warner Losh" <imp at bsdimp.com> wrote:
> :
> : > Is there a secret to making video clips that windows media player
> : > likes?  So far, all the ones I've done result in a fatal error at
> the : > end.  Is there a code/format I should specify to make things
> good? : >
> : > The source material is DV video that I've encoded with Kino and
> then : > split apart to get a few short (~10s) clips that are the
> highlights. :
> : what encoding? wmv?
>
> The clips are currently encoded for a DVD in mpeg2video format.

I think mencoder (a part of multimedia/mplayer) can do what you want.
It handles mpeg2video.

  "mencoder (MPlayer's Movie Encoder) is a simple movie encoder,
   designed to encode MPlayer-playable movies (see above) to other
   MPlayer-playable formats  (see  below). It encodes to MPEG-4
   (DivX/XviD), one of the libavcodec codecs and PCM/MP3/VBRMP3 audio in
   1, 2 or 3  passes. Furthermore it has stream copying abilities, a
   powerful filter system (crop, expand, flip, postprocess, rotate,
   scale, noise, RGB/YUV conversion) and more."

(mplayer manpage).

Nikola Lečić