audio CD's in SCSI drives -- syntax?

Joerg Schilling Joerg.Schilling at fokus.fraunhofer.de
Sun Jul 29 10:50:51 UTC 2007

> I think it might be worthwhile throwing out cdda2wav as the reference
> tool completely and instead rewrite the tutorial to feature cdparanoia,
> which is pretty much the state of the art ripping utilitiy these days
> (and has been even longer on Linux), works with device names rather than
> unit numbers for SCSI drives as well, does in fact not require the
> specification of any device by default as it will autoscan for devices
> and just use the first one it finds and finally is used as the ripping
> backend by nearly all modern GUI ripping utilities.

Please try to inform yourself to avoid writing incorrect claims......

Cdparanoia started as a patch on cdda2wav in 1997. It did never improve it's
CD-DA code and for this reason, it's CD-DA properties are based on what
cdda2wav could do 10 years ago. The code is full of non-portable parts.

Cdparanoia died in 2001.

For this reason, I did pull out it's essentials and created a portable
and bug-fixed version of the paranoia code as "libparanoia" in 2002.
Then cdda2wav has been enhanced to use the libparanoia code.
Since 2002, cdds2wav it definitely the best choice for CD audio extraction.

Monty did a great job when creating the code that is in libparanoia but he is
no longer interested in cdparanoia.

Cdda2wav reads CDs that cdparanoia won't read at all and it usually even does
not need a dev= parameter at all! This is something Monty did try to implement
a long time but never was able to devliver. Cdda2wav in attition writes a
summyry line for each track that tells you whether there are audible problems
in the extracted data.

Do you really like to give up maintained code in favor of a dead program?

http://cdrecord.berlios.de/

Jörg

       schilling at fokus.fraunhofer.de     (work) Blog: http://schily.blogspot.com/