Aureal sound driver (aureal.c and au88x0.c?)

Joel Dahl joel at FreeBSD.org
Sat Jul 28 07:46:24 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-07-27 at 20:43 -0700, Christopher Davis wrote:
> On 7/26/07, Christopher Davis <loafier at freebsd.org> wrote:
> > I've edited sys/dev/sound/pci/aureal.c to use bus_alloc_resources(),
> > pci_enable_io(), etc as part of my SoC project. I changed it to
> > allocate only one I/O port; it previously allocated about 3 I/O ports,
> > but it seemed to only use the first one. I also added the detach
> > method, which was missing, but there is likely a message to send
> > to the card to shut it down properly.
> >
> > I don't have this card, so I'm not sure if things still work. It's in my
> > branch if anyone's interested in testing it out:
> >
> > //depot/projects/soc2007/loafier_busalloc/src/sys/dev/sound/pci/aureal.c
> > http://loafier.sixbit.org/aureal.c
> >
> > --
> > Christopher Davis
> >

> I didn't notice this before, but au88x0.c seems to be a newer
> driver that supports the Aureal sound cards. The aureal.c
> driver probes for the Aureal Vortex 8820, and au88x0.c probes
> for the 8820, 8830 and 8810 cards, according to the source
> code files. au88x0.c looks like the more complete driver.

Do we have any snd_aureal(4) or snd_au88x0(4) users at all? Neither of
them are enabled in NOTES, and I know that aureal lacks support for both
playback and recording.  I wouldn't spend too much time on them if I
were you.  ;-)

I haven't really looked at your SoC project and what you're trying to
do, but the most widely used (and actively maintained) sound drivers are
probably snd_hda(4), snd_ich(4), snd_atiixp(4), snd_envy24(4),
snd_envy24ht(4), snd_via8233(4), snd_emu10k1(4) and snd_emu10kx(4).  You
probably won't have a hard time finding testers and reviewers for them.

--
Joel