FreeBSD's sound system lineage....

Norberto Meijome freebsd at meijome.net
Sun Jul 22 13:17:36 UTC 2007

Hello list,
I've been wondering for a little while what is the lineage of FreeBSD's kernel sound support . I couldn't find any reference to it in the Handbook... RTFM welcome :)

I get it isn't ALSA related. I've read that we use the Open Sound System...how does this relate to http://opensound.com/ ?

Also, if I understand this correctly, the kernel 'adheres' to a standard (OSS), and then @ the user level we can run things like esd, artsd ,etc right? which simply add another API for other apps to push their noisy bits down our speakers....

thanks in advance for your explanations!
{Beto|Norberto|Numard} Meijome

"I've dirtied my hands writing poetry, for the sake of seduction; that is, for the sake of a useful cause."
   Dostoevsky