Going multi-headed with nvidia 7900GS card and 6-STABLE/amd64 ...

Arne Wörner arne_woerner at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 22 07:50:40 UTC 2007

Hi Marc!

I fell asleep some hours ago, so that I couldnt reply so quickly...

--- "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy at freebsd.org> wrote:
> 'k, I've tried to search google (even with site:http://www.nvnews.net to
> narrow it down), and I'm drawing a blank, so I'm asking here ...

Hmm... I found this with Yahoo!Search (nvidia xorg "dual head"):
http://www.bitleap.com/blog/2007/01/22/nvidia-xorg-dual-head-linux-change/
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Dual_Monitors#Setting_up_Two_Graphics_Cards

> 64bit issues with the driver, but from what I've been able to tell, I should
> be able to do this with just the nv driver that comes with X.Org 7.x ...

Yup... The agp and drm modules might be necessary (if it isnt compiled into the
kernel)...

> The only way I could get the current configuration to even start, without
> getting:
>
> Fatal server error:
> Requested Entity already in use!

Did you use xorgcfg to get a basic configuration file?

I found this about that strange error message:
https://www.redhat.com/archives/nahant-list/2005-August/msg00183.html

> was by changing the BusID to PCI:1:0:1 (or anything) even though nothing
> seems to turn up in pciconf other then pci:1:0:0 ...

That wont help... The nvidia driver has to mention, that the same pci device
can do 2 screens... It detects that by the "Screen XXX" line (one says 0 and
one say 1 with the same PCI:a:b:c)...

> So, the question is ... what am I missing, or is the nvidia kernel driver a
> requirement to getting dual-head working after all?

You should try the ports nvidia-driver and nvidia-xconfig and nvidia-settings
(pkg_add -r <port name>)...

> Section "Device"
> 	Identifier  "Card0"
> 	Driver      "nv"
> 	VendorName  "nVidia Corporation"
> 	BoardName   "NV18 [GeForce4 MX 440 AGP 8x]"
> 	BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
>       Screen	0
> EndSection
> Section "Device"
> 	Identifier  "Card1"
> 	Driver      "nv"
> 	VendorName  "nVidia Corporation"
> 	BoardName   "NV18 [GeForce4 MX 440 AGP 8x]"
> 	BusID       "PCI:1:0:1"
>       Screen	1
> EndSection

The driver name should be "nvidia" possibly?
Maybe you need to install that nvidia driver from the ports first...

Have fun... Dual head without cloning looks cool, when it works... :-)

Bye
Arne