syscons + mouse == stuttering playback

Ulrich Spoerlein uspoerlein at gmail.com
Sat Jul 14 18:44:18 UTC 2007

On Sat, 14.07.2007 at 18:46:13 +0200, Tijl Coosemans wrote:
> On Monday 02 July 2007 20:51:09 Ulrich Spoerlein wrote:
> > on a recent CURRENT, without WITNESS or INVARIANTS. Both with
> > SCHED_ULE and SCHED_4BSD I observed the following:
> >
> > Make sure almost nothing is running (to rule out other influences).
> > Run mpg123 on some MP3 file. Then start moving the syscons mouse
> > cursor. I get a high frequency stuttering on playback, playback is
> > also slowed down.
>
> I just noticed it. I was playing music in Amarok, switched to a text
> terminal and moving the mouse there causes stuttering. In X it
> doesn't...

Are you using an USB mouse? I do, perhaps it is caused by the Giant
lock? I can't test with a PS/2 mouse, but perhaps I could run a test
with Hans' USB stack (giant free).

Cheers,
Ulrich Spoerlein
--
"The trouble with the dictionary is you have to know how the word is
spelled before you can look it up to see how it is spelled."