Audio driver template

Tue Jul 10 08:08:33 UTC 2007

Quoting Christopher Davis <loafier at FreeBSD.org> (from Mon, 9 Jul 2007
11:47:14 -0700):

> http://people.freebsd.org/~cg/template.c
>
> Thought I would take a look at the audio driver template as
> part of my task to modernize drivers, soc2007. I would simplify
> the read and write functions to avoid using the bus tag and
> handle, but I'm not sure what else to do to bring it up to date.
>
> How else can it be improved?

Putting it into the examples directory instead of having it on the
people's own pages would be an improvement (the developer handbook
needs to be changed to point to the examples directory then).

And you should clarify what kind of improvements are valid for your
SoC work. Somehow I doubt that adding shiny new features (like hps
suggested) is part of the goal for your work. I think it's more like
bringing existing drivers up-to-par with currently available generic
driver interfaces, isn't it?

I also think examples for suspend/resume stuff should be added.
/sys/dev/sound/pci/atiixp.c has suspend and resume methods if you want
an example.

You could also review the locking, as it changed a little bit
recently, I think.

Apart from the atiixp driver the envy42, emu10kx and HDA drivers can
also serve as examples for what is the most current in the sound
subsystem in FreeBSD. Maybe you can gain some more hints from them (I
think the template is not very up-to-date compared to them).

The new mixer interface is not used yet in the drivers, so we don't
have examples at all for them. You could ask ryanb at FreeBSD.org (or on
multimedia@) about it.

Ariff at FreeBSD.org (or multimedia@) can maybe help if you have some
questions regarding the drivers in the tree (maybe Ariff will answer
to your initial question anyway).

Bye,
Alexander.

--
I guess the Little League is even littler than we thought.
		-- D. Cavett