some missing bits in multimedia/v4l_compat

Florent Thoumie flz at FreeBSD.org
Mon Jan 22 12:45:40 UTC 2007

Luigi Rizzo wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 22, 2007 at 11:52:44AM +0000, Florent Thoumie wrote:
>> Luigi Rizzo wrote:
>>> i notice that ports/multimedia/v4l_compat/files/videodev.h has
>>> some differences with respect to the linux equivalent, see e.g.
>>>
>>> 	http://www.gelato.unsw.edu.au/lxr/source/include/linux/videodev.h
>>>
>>> e.g. no #define HAVE_V4L1 1 ,
>>> some missing prototypes, and so on.
>>>
>>> Any objection if i fill in some of the missing parts ?
>>>
>>> Also, any reason not to make a header for videodev2.h as well
>>>
>>> 	http://www.gelato.unsw.edu.au/lxr/source/include/linux/videodev2.h
>> I think no devices on FreeBSD support v4l2 atm but that wouldn't hurt
>> anyone.
>> Go ahead.
>
> thanks.
>
> Actually i believe nothing in the tree supports v4l1 either,
> so this is mostly (only ?) to let ports (apps and drivers) build.

Actually, there's at least one driver that uses it (pwc(4) in ports).

> But i also wonder if it wouldn't be the case to make these headers
> part of the kernel tree.  It certainly shouldn't harm to have them
> generally available, and not just as a port.

There was a WIP to bring v4l interface to sys/. I took it from julian's
p4 repo, did some mods in my own and had to focus on some other things.
I read some people were interested in v4l in hackers@ (IIRC).

> I learned that many ports (e.g. pwlib, and possibly some of the
> gnome/kde/whatever toolkits) do check for the presence
> of the headers and conditionally build parts of them.
> So you might find yourself with missing support for v4l devices
> without noticing, and even when later you install the drivers
> you won't see them.

I've notified gnome people of it, so if it's not the case yet there
should be gstreamer-v4l at some point.

--
Florent Thoumie
flz at FreeBSD.org