software for remote control - alternatives to LIRC ?

Dieter freebsd at sopwith.solgatos.com
Mon Jan 15 20:03:27 UTC 2007

Can someone recommend software to read data from an infrared remote
and figure out which button was pushed?

LIRC is not LP64 clean, and I've read reports that it is buggy even
on 32 bit platforms.

I looked at the data from three different remotes with hexdump, and it
doesn't look anything like the stuff in LIRC's files.  There must be
some preprocessing going on.  I could probably stare at the hex dumps
awhile and figure something out, but why reinvent the wheel?