Skype can't find (unnamed) audio device? Dell with snd_hda

Clemens Ladisch cladisch at fastmail.net
Mon Jan 15 17:18:10 UTC 2007

Chris Shenton wrote:
> I've built Skype from the skype-devel port on FreeBSD-6.2-PRERELEASE.
> I'm running on a DELL Dimension 9150 with built-in sound hardware that
> I was able to get working with the snd_hda patch posted here a couple
> months back (thanks!).

So sound does work with other applications, even in full duplex?

> When I fire up Skype and try and test the audio, I see these messages:
>   ALSA lib pcm.c:2099:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM default
>
> I can't tell what device it's trying to open.

It's trying to open the ALSA device named "default" that would map to
device node /dev/snd/pcmC0D0p if you were running Linux.

Until ALSA has been ported to FreeBSD, you'd better use OSS.  :-)

> OSS showed Calls: /dev/dsp, and grayed out Ringing: /dev/dsp.

I would guess that it could open /dev/dsp for writing but not for
reading.

Does the driver even support this?

> I tried that but get the same "cannot find" messages on the console.

You shouldn't get ALSA messages when using OSS.

Regards,
Clemens