Intel High Definition Audio + Skype - echoing

Hans Petter Selasky hselasky at c2i.net
Wed Feb 28 16:36:43 UTC 2007

Hi,

I have some opinions about echo cancelling:

1) Echo cancelling should be part of the kernel.

2) Extremely low sound latency causes the echo canceller to use more CPU!
Something in the range of 25-50ms is Ok. This is because an efficient echo
canceller process samples in blocks instead of sample by sample.

Here is the old sample by sample echo canceller that I use with ISDN
telephony:

http://www.turbocat.net/~hselasky/isdn4bsd/sources/src/sys/i4b/layer1/i4b_echo_cancel.c

I'm currently working on a new and block based one that will be more
efficient.

--HPS