snd_hda: no such file (6.2-STABLE, worked on -PRERELEASE)

Chris Shenton chris at shenton.org
Fri Feb 23 14:02:19 UTC 2007

Gary Palmer <gpalmer at freebsd.org> writes:

>>   chris at Bacalao:~<104> sudo kldload /boot/kernel/snd_hda.ko
>>   kldload: can't load /boot/kernel/snd_hda.ko: No such file or directory
>
> Check the kernel messages through dmesg or /var/log/messages.
> "No such file or directory" can mean that there is a symbol that the
> module is looking for that is not found in the kernel, and if thats
> the case the details will be in the kernel messages.

Ah, that seems to be it; I'm seeing:

  link_elf: symbol mix_setparentchild undefined

I just did a grep through /usr/src/ and don't see that symbol --
except in some .o and .kld files; looks like the cvsup cron did last
night replaced the diff code with code that doesn't define this.

Any hints to how I can find this and build snd_hda?

Thanks a bunch.