speex upgrade to 1.1.12 ?

Luigi Rizzo rizzo at icir.org
Thu Feb 22 20:26:50 UTC 2007

On Thu, Feb 22, 2007 at 02:22:20PM -0600, Jeremy Messenger wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 14:01:26 -0600, Luigi Rizzo <rizzo at icir.org> wrote:

> >> often
> >>
> >> FYI: The result is libspeex.so.1 now instead of libspeex.so.[3|5].
> >
> > Just curious - now the library number (used to be 3) goes back to 1,
> > so is there anything that expect version number not to go back ?
>
> I am a bit confuse with your question, so I am not sure if I answer
> correct to your question. It is expected to go back to 1, because it is a
> correct number. The speex in Linux has .so.1 too. There is a bug in

well basically the question was that for good or bad, the previous
version of the library (speex.1.0.5) in FreeBSD was 3
and now becomes something different even though the ABI has not
changed (hopefully; we know it is backward compatible, i have no
idea if it has more in it).
On the other hand, if the linux version is .1 maybe some scripts and
makefiles look for .1 so it is more convenient to use the same
version number. Fair enough.

	cheers
	luigi