Sound Blaster USB?

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Sat Feb 17 17:07:13 UTC 2007

In message: <20070217.205042.835831436.kazuhito at ph.noda.tus.ac.jp>
            Kazuhito HONDA <kazuhito at ph.noda.tus.ac.jp> writes:
: Its cause is that FreeBSD sound system is unfit for USB sound systems.
: Some USB sound devices have several mute knobs.
: But FreeBSD sound system has one mute knob only.
: Thus FreeBSD can't control mute knobs of USB sound devices.
:
: `SB Live! 24-bit External' makes the mute knob on
: when none is plugged in `phones'.
: FreeBSD can't change the mute knob from on to off.
: Thus you can't get any sound.
: If something is plugged from beginning,
: the mute knob is off, and you can get some sounds.
:
: `MASTER (PUSH-MUTE)'knob can change the mute status to on,
: but it can't change the mute status from on to off.
:
: At least, my `SB Live! 24-bit External' does that behaviors.

Honda-san,

thank you for this great explaination.  Are the details for how to
program the device documented somewhere?  Or do I just need to be
careful to always plug in the SB Live! USB with the head phones and
there's no hope for improvement?

Warner