Aureal Vortex 2 support in 6.x?

Eric P. Scott eps+pqry0702 at ana.com
Tue Feb 13 19:52:31 UTC 2007

(Probably a "stupid question," but I'll ask anyway...)

I noticed the audio/aureal-kmod port was touched recently, but
not in a useful way--only to neuter it further.  Besides, I
thought it was superfluous; wasn't this MFCed a long time ago?

=> src/sys/dev/sound/pci/au88x0.[ch]

What went wrong here?  There's an ominous note in CVS for
src/sys/modules/sound/driver/au88x0/Makefile:

"Add (but do not connect) a half-finished driver for Aureal
Vortex cards.  The mixer works, pcm support is half done."

Also, in /usr/src/sys/conf/NOTES:

"This driver lacks support for playback and recording."

Oops.

L-word's [ALSA] au8830 driver seems to work OK, but if I want to
use one of these cards with FreeBSD, is OSS my only viable option
at this point?

http://www.opensound.com/freebsd.html

(N.B. they only claim compatibility with 6.1-RELEASE at this
time, not 6.2.)

These chips are hardly rarities: Dell stuffed OEM Turtle Beach
Montego II [Aureal Vortex 2] PCI sound cards in huge numbers of
machines (including their popular Dimension XPS-R and XPS-T
series).

					-=EPS=-