streaming video

Danny Pansters danny at ricin.com
Mon Dec 10 15:46:35 PST 2007

On Monday 10 December 2007 23:33:32 Chuck Robey wrote:
> I can't figure out how to get streaming video (as exemplified by the
> links on this page: http://countdown.ksc.nasa.gov/elv/public/ ) to
> display.  I have buiolt a host of dvd ports, they all seemm to show
> dvd's fine, but I can't figure out how to get one of the links on that
> page to kick off a program to show stuff.  This isn't flash.  Also, I do
> get a popup asking me what to do with this contentm but no matter what
> program I gove it (suck as xine, vlc, totem, gxine, or gxanim, others)
> nothing displays beyond the program's startup (the one I ca;; just opens
>   a window and grins stupidly at me).

rm = realmedia, you can play it with realplayer or with (k)mplayer/xine/... if
you have enabled the real codecs for them (possibly also need the win32
codecs, they also contain some of older the real codecs IIRC).

e.g.
cd /usr/ports/multimedia/linux-realplayer && make install clean

or
cd /usr/ports/multimedia/mplayer
make config (and enable the real support)
make install clean

I'm not sure if maybe the java applets on that website intend to embed the
video (if that is so, it works poorly I reckon ;-)

HTH,

Dan