Creative Sound Blaster Audigy SE

Predrag Punosevac punosevac at math.arizona.edu
Fri Dec 7 10:03:28 PST 2007

Kent Stewart wrote:
> On Thursday 06 December 2007, Predrag Punosevac wrote:
>
>> Kent Stewart wrote:
>>
>>> I had the sound card in my primary FreeBSD user system go bad on
>>> me. When I went shopping for a replacement sound card for an old
>>> system, the only thing I could see that didn't take too much of my
>>> cpu horsepower was the Audigy SE. It seems to be the generic sound
>>> card that you can purchase in a Best Buy or such electronic store.
>>> It isn't in FreeBSD-6-stable. I think it is the equivalent of the
>>> old emu10k1 or 2. It needs to be addressed.
>>>
>>> A pciconf shows the following
>>>
>>> none1 at pci0:17:0:        class=0x040100 card=0x100a1102
>>> chip=0x00071102 rev=0x00 hdr=0x00
>>>     vendor     = 'Creative Technology LTD.'
>>>     device     = 'C6SB0410515017656A Audigy SE'
>>>     class      = multimedia
>>>     subclass   = audio
>>>
>>> None of these generic cards seem to have been added for 2 or 3
>>> years. This specific card was pr-ed a long time ago. We are really
>>> running behind the curve.
>>>
>>> Kent
>>>
>> It is supported by /usr/ports/audio/oss in full duplex mode. I am
>> using it. It would be really nice to add support for a low end cards
>> like that into the kernel but I am not a developer. I think I saw
>> somewhere that there was something strange about that particular
>> card. OSS for a long time could not support it in full-duplex mode
>> necessary for VoIP.
>>

> Magic happens :)
>
> Detected SiS 7012
> Detected Sound Blaster Audigy LS / Live7.1
> Detected OSS Transparent Virtual Mixing Architecture
>
> Now I feel like I am following the path Gary was going down a short time
> ago. This Audigy has no provision for analog audio. So, some CD players
> won't work. I rarely use FreeBSD to play CDs. I have iTunes on one of
> my other computers running with a kvm. Playing CDs is a
> news links. There are screen blinks and flashes but no sound. I have my
> challenge for the day :).

Are you sure about that? My Audigy SE 5.1 has a connection for audio
cable. You just
attach the  your  DVD-RW to your audio card via the cable and CD should
work like a charm.
It should be on a side of your audio card.

Are you trying to use FreeBSD to watch Flash movies? FreeBSD is
definitely not a good platform for that.
You can snap video from Google video and You tube with clieve and
youtube-dl and watch it with MPlayer and VLC but that is about
it.

Also some programs like esound on Gnome tend to clog the Audio card as I
believe OSS is working on one channel only
(oss built into a kernel is definitely much, much better). You will have
to reboot the computer to unclog. I hope you are not trying
to do all of that on the serious server.

Best,
Predrag