Creative Sound Blaster Audigy SE

Predrag Punosevac punosevac at math.arizona.edu
Thu Dec 6 14:48:34 PST 2007

Kent Stewart wrote:
> I had the sound card in my primary FreeBSD user system go bad on me.
> When I went shopping for a replacement sound card for an old system,
> the only thing I could see that didn't take too much of my cpu
> horsepower was the Audigy SE. It seems to be the generic sound card
> that you can purchase in a Best Buy or such electronic store. It isn't
> in FreeBSD-6-stable. I think it is the equivalent of the old emu10k1 or
> 2. It needs to be addressed.
>
> A pciconf shows the following
>
> none1 at pci0:17:0:        class=0x040100 card=0x100a1102 chip=0x00071102
> rev=0x00 hdr=0x00
>     vendor     = 'Creative Technology LTD.'
>     device     = 'C6SB0410515017656A Audigy SE'
>     class      = multimedia
>     subclass   = audio
>
> None of these generic cards seem to have been added for 2 or 3 years.
> This specific card was pr-ed a long time ago. We are really running
> behind the curve.
>
> Kent

It is supported by /usr/ports/audio/oss in full duplex mode. I am using
it. It would be really nice to add support for a low end cards like that
into the kernel but I am not a developer. I think I saw somewhere that
there was something strange about that particular card. OSS for a long
time could not support it in full-duplex mode necessary for VoIP.

Cheers,
Predrag