VoIP problems

Norberto Meijome freebsd at meijome.net
Wed Aug 29 04:21:24 PDT 2007

On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 14:31:34 -0700
Predrag Punosevac <punosevac at math.arizona.edu> wrote:

> Norberto Meijome wrote:
> > On Sat, 25 Aug 2007 23:05:20 -0700
> > Predrag Punosevac <punosevac at math.arizona.edu> wrote:
> >

> >> I was perfectly able to hear people using Skype but they could not hear
> >> me so my conclusion was that sound card is not properly configured
> >> Another indication was that I was not able to record using ossrecord or
> >> at least when I play back I do not hear anything.
> >>

> > Predrag,
> > what's the output of mixer ?

> I am sending you two outputs. One is output of the native mixer and the
> second one is the output of the ossmix
>
> [pedja at oko /usr/home/Pedja]$ mixer
> Mixer pcm      is currently set to  68:68
> Recording source:

fair enough, u use the OSS drivers...

> [pedja at oko /usr/home/Pedja]$ ossmix
> Selected mixer 0/
> Known controls are:
>         pcm <both/leftvol>[:<rightvol>] (currently 68:68)
>         rear <both/leftvol>[:<rightvol>] (currently 48:48)
>         rear.rec ON|OFF (currently OFF)

rec off

>         center <both/leftvol>[:<rightvol>] (currently 48:48)
>         center.rec ON|OFF (currently OFF)

rec  off

>         ext.spread ON|OFF (currently OFF)
>         ext.loopback ON|OFF (currently OFF)
>         ext.recordvol <monovol> (currently 128)
>         ext.recordsrc <MIC|LINE> (currently MIC)
>         vmix0-src <Fast|Low|Medium|High|High+|Production|OFF> (currently
> Fast)
>         vmix0-vol <monovol> (currently 25.0 dB)
>         vmix0-out <leftVU>:<rightVU>] (currently 0:0)
>         vmix0-out.pcm5 <monovol> (currently 25.0 dB)
>         vmix0-out <leftVU>:<rightVU>] (currently 0:0)
>         vmix0-out.pcm6 <monovol> (currently 25.0 dB)
>         vmix0-out <leftVU>:<rightVU>] (currently 0:0)
>         vmix0-out.pcm7 <monovol> (currently 25.0 dB)
>         vmix0-out <leftVU>:<rightVU>] (currently 0:0)
>         vmix0-out.pcm8 <monovol> (currently 25.0 dB)
>         vmix0-out <leftVU>:<rightVU>] (currently 0:0)
>         vmix0-in <leftVU>:<rightVU>] (currently 0:0)

I don't know too much about OSS utils / devices, but I would start by enabling the rec devices and seeing what changes every time.... increase the volume of everything all the way up (careful with your ears though!).

for reference, mine shows:

$ mixer
Mixer vol      is currently set to  86:86
Mixer pcm      is currently set to  85:85
Mixer speaker  is currently set to  49:49
Mixer mic      is currently set to   0:0
Mixer cd       is currently set to  40:40
Mixer rec      is currently set to 100:100
Recording source: mic

Did you check OSS docs  for samples? you DO have a mic connected to one of your inputs...and the mic is NOT muted right? (trust me, it happens to me every second day..)

sorry I can't be of more help atm.

cheers,
beto