USB Problem on a HP Compaq DC7600

Torfinn Ingolfsen torfinn.ingolfsen at broadpark.no
Tue Aug 28 02:33:37 PDT 2007

On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 13:52:42 +0530
Robert Nicholson <nicholson.robert at gmail.com> wrote:

> The other problem is that the four USB ports on the machine are
> recognized and the /dev/ directory has character devices usb1 to usb4
> but plugging in any usb drive (including a USB pen drive) causes the
> system to hang for about 4 seconds and then  the drive is not
> recognized. There are no /dev/da* devices, no dmesg messages and
> no /var/log/messages either.
>
> I checked the kernel config. Devices umass, ehci, ohci , uhci, usb.
> da as well as scbus are all enabled. I am at a loss on how to solve
> this problem. Please help.

What happens wrt /var/log/messages for the devices if you boot verbose?
Do you get any messages when plugging in the device then?

Other than that, please provide dmesg output and verbose dmesg output
(ie boot verbose) somewhere, so people on this list can have a look at
it in order to help you.
--
Regards,
Torfinn Ingolfsen,