USB Problem on a HP Compaq DC7600

Robert Nicholson nicholson.robert at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 01:22:44 PDT 2007

Predrag, sorry for the mistake.

Hi everyone,

I just installed FreeBSD 6.0 on a HP Compaq DC7600 Small Form Factor PC at
work. It uses an intel 945G chipset. I could not get the broadcom NIC to
work so we replaced it with a D-Link NIC and that works.

The other problem is that the four USB ports on the machine are recognized
and the /dev/ directory has character devices usb1 to usb4 but plugging in
any usb drive (including a USB pen drive) causes the system to hang for
about 4 seconds and then  the drive is not recognized. There are no /dev/da*
devices, no dmesg messages and no /var/log/messages either.

I checked the kernel config. Devices umass, ehci, ohci , uhci, usb. da as
well as scbus are all enabled. I am at a loss on how to solve this problem.
Please help.

Thanks and Regards,
Michael.