FreeBSD audio driver use and feeding: client side

Andrew Reilly andrew-freebsd at areilly.bpc-users.org
Wed Aug 22 21:45:39 PDT 2007

Hi there,

Is there documentation anywhere that reflects the theory of
operation and intended use of the state of the audio drivers in
-current?

I remember that Cameron Grant (?) had a document with some nice
diagrams at about the time that the new PCI framework went in,
but I can't find it, now, and I don't know how relevant it still
is.

I looked at the soundcard.h header last weekend, and started
some exploratory coding, using the FreeBSD (as opposed to the
OSS) IOCTLs, but wasn't having a whole lot of success.

I suspect that part of my problem might be that my sound card,
an M-Audio Delta1010 is not actually listed as being supported,
but the envy24 driver does seem to recognize it, and it reports
the expected number of channels and what-not.  I'm confused by
the fact that none of the pcm devices that I would expect show
up in /dev, and the ones that I used to open when talking to the
(then closed-source) oss driver aren't found.

Any pointers or suggestions would be most helpful.

If I can be of any assistance getting the driver to support the
card, then I'll be happy to do that too, if I can.

Cheers,

--
Andrew