ports/pvr250 / Hauppauge PVR250 on ECS K7VMM+

Arne Wörner arne_woerner at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 21 04:13:47 PDT 2007

Hi!

My Hauppauge PVR250 TV card works quite fine in a quite old main board with an
Intel Pentium P5/166MHz. But on my newer main board (K7VMM+ bought in 2003) it
feels so bad, that it either crashes the whole box (even if ACPI and cpu
throttling is disabled) or it doesnt deliver any data after some minutes (I
wrote a C program that detects this kind of stalling, but every time it happens
I loose some seconds of the mpeg stream).

I am pretty sure, that I could have better results with LINUX, and that my old
box uses more electrical power in 24hrs than my newer box uses while I sleep
(so that I would save some energy if I substitute my old PVR box by my newer
box).

Does somebody have an idea, how my newer box could become a PVR?

Does somebody know a legal way to get german TV programs via the internet (some
years ago I heard about IP multicast, but it was quite bad) (the biggest german
telco and some german TV stations just offer their proprietary software, that
needs a MS W*nd*ws license) (maybe some proxy/cache system)?

Thanks.

Bye
Arne