Tuner drivers

Markus Rechberger mrechberger at gmail.com
Mon Aug 20 06:48:12 PDT 2007

Hi all,

I recently started a project to add support for userspace tuners to Linux.
Recently I read a thread about the saa7134 [1], and there was a
statement that tuning is done in userspace. So this project might be
interesting for some of you.

The Linux tuner driver is implemented as a shared library in
userspace, it interacts through an interface with the linux kernel in
the backend of the kerneldrivers.
In Linux a userspace daemon loads the shared tunerlibraries as soon as
they're requested from kernelspace.

Also the xc3028 got mentioned in the saa driverthread, it should be
fairly easy to reuse the code [2] with BSD.

The project is also dual licensed BSD/GPL.

Markus