3d acceleration support for ATI or other

Sat Aug 11 10:45:39 UTC 2007

Quoting Norberto Meijome <freebsd at meijome.net> (Fri, 10 Aug 2007
22:13:54 +1000):

> On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 12:31:44 +0200
> Philipp Ost <pj at smo.de> wrote:
>
> > IIRC they released a new version some time ago. You can find it here
> > <http://ati.amd.com/support/driver.html>
> > Unfortunatly the driver is only for Linux, but there is/was an attempt
> > to port this driver to FreeBSD (not by ATi though...).
>
> yes... i still wonder whether installing all the linux-X related ports
> under freebsd would allow us to run those linux drivers (probably not

No.

> as they , if memory serves me right) need some kernel module to be
> loaded... there was a mention (in mobile@ or questions@) a while back

Yes.

> about someone actually using the linux drivers under freebsd (though
> not sure how they got them working...i tried them and failed

The linux Xorg drivers are OS independent (but not architecture
independent) if done right. But the ATI (and NVidia) drivers need a
kernel module, and the effort you are talking about was to write such a
kernel module for FreeBSD.

Bye,
Alexander.

--
zeal, n:
	Quality seen in new graduates -- if you're quick.