3d acceleration support for ATI or other

Philipp Ost pj at smo.de
Fri Aug 10 11:17:37 UTC 2007

Norberto Meijome wrote:
> On Thu, 9 Aug 2007 19:29:29 -0400
> Ean Kingston <ean at istop.com> wrote:
>

>> [snipped]  I found
>>some old information online indicating that AMD would be releasing
>>proprietary drivers for it to support the 3d acceleration. I can't
>>find them. Any recent updates on this front?

IIRC they released a new version some time ago. You can find it here
<http://ati.amd.com/support/driver.html>
Unfortunatly the driver is only for Linux, but there is/was an attempt
to port this driver to FreeBSD (not by ATi though...).

> [snipped]
> OTOH, you can check xorg 7.2 support for 3d cards - if I understand it
 > correctly, the 9550 is part of the r300 driver [url snipped].

That's right, but the X.org radeon driver only supports 3D acceleration
up to the rv280. See 'man radeon' for more details ;-)

HTH,
Philipp

--
www.familie-ost.info/~pj