HEADS UP: Last call for snd_hda(4) testers - High Definition Audio driver

Alexandre "Sunny" Kovalenko alex.kovalenko at verizon.net
Sat Sep 30 17:59:00 PDT 2006

On Fri, 2006-09-29 at 04:44 +0800, Ariff Abdullah wrote:
> [
>  Please remove current@ and stable@ from your CC: . This mail serves
>  only as an announcement (or a death threat, if you prefer that way).
> ]
>
> Allright folks, I've had enough. It is time to go gold. This driver is
> proven stable and works (mostly) after several weeks of testing and
> bug hunting, thanks to those unfortunate unpaid victims at
> #freebsd-azalia at freenode and few other unsung heroes. If you're using
> previous driver, please remove it, get a latest/pristine RELENG_6 or
> -CURRENT, and apply these patches:
>
> For RELENG_6:
>   http://people.freebsd.org/~ariff/test/hda_releng6.diff
>
> For -CURRENT:
>   http://people.freebsd.org/~ariff/test/hda_current.diff
>
> While applying these patches using patch(1), DO NOT forget about "-p0"
> argument. I'm getting tired with people reporting the same old "patch
> failed" or "compile failed" because of this. Stick this into your
> mind, forever, eternally. The proper way to apply it is like this:
>
>   patch -d /usr/src -p0 < hda_yada.diff
>
> You don't have to buildworld, buildkernel or any other sacrificial
> ritual. Simply "cd /usr/src/sys/modules/sound/ && make clean cleandir
> && make && make install" should do the trick. Well, it is up to you,
> really :)
>
> Unfortunately, those who are still stuck with 6.1-RELEASE and earlier
> had to rely on the binary driver instead. Please grab both sound.ko
> and snd_hda.ko at http://people.freebsd.org/~ariff/HDA/kmod/ and
> replace whatever sound.ko you have there.
>
> HDA Driver Revision: 20060929_0025 <- see ? There are $((9999 - 25))
> more iterations before it reach its equilibrium state.
>
> Issues:
>   1) SPDIF not working - I had to disable it, for now.
>   2) Multichannel/surround not working - The driver tries to output
>      the sound to all possible path. If you have speakers attach to
>      all of them, chances are it all works, but not in a true sense of
>      multichannel/surround. There are few more works left to do on the
>      upper layer of the sound driver to make it works properly.
>   3) Recording is broken on few hardwares - As far as I can tell, it
>      should work flawlessly, but not to all. This is a bit tricky to
>      handle, but I'm working on it.
>   4) Pluging in headset does not mute speakers - This is easy (read
>      #5)
>   5) Nothing works at all - more like a null driver, isn't it?  Please
>      follow the instructions from
>      http://people.freebsd.org/~ariff/HDA/ . The death threat is real
>      :)
>   6) The driver cause panic, killing my first unborn child - nahh.. I
>      don't believe this. If you're running -CURRENT, the issues are
>      probably elsewhere :)
>
> As suggested by netchild@, please report your success or failure like
> this to freebsd-multimedia at FreeBSD.org:
>
> Success
> [...]
On -CURRENT as of late September 30th
(EST) /usr/src/sys/modules/sound/driver/Makefile failed to patch
(Makefile.rej attached) for reasons I do not quite understand. No big
deal -- fixed that manually. Ensuing compilation errors attached --
sorry but they are way beyond what I can figure out on my own.

--
Alexandre "Sunny" Kovalenko (Олександр Коваленко)

P.S. I am not subscribing to multimedia@, please, do not remove me from CC list.