HDA + bktr kernel crashes

Adam K Kirchhoff adamk at voicenet.com
Sat Sep 30 12:50:58 PDT 2006

Ariff Abdullah wrote:
> On Sat, 30 Sep 2006 12:10:23 -0400
> Adam K Kirchhoff <adamk at voicenet.com> wrote:
>
>> If I load both the snd_hda driver and the bktr driver on my system
>> (3.2 dual core Xeon, 2 gigs of RAM), I get kernel crashes shortly
>> after the pcm device is detected.
>>
>> verbose dmesg + kernel debugger trace is available at:
>>
>> http://68.45.180.45/hda-bktr-crash.txt.gz
>>

> Please cvsup to latest -current since there was indeed a gross
> overflow by the recent OSSv4 improvement commit.
>
> Sorry for that.
>
> --
> Ariff Abdullah
> FreeBSD
>
> ... Recording in stereo is obviously too advanced
>     and confusing for us idiot ***** users :P ........

That worked.  The crashes are no longer present.

Unfortunately, I've encountered a new problem...  Namely, I don't get
any audio from fxtv.  When I launch fxtv, I get the message:

Can't control LINE volume via /dev/mixer

And there's no audio output.  My mixer settings are:

Mixer vol      is currently set to  75:75
Mixer pcm      is currently set to  75:75
Mixer speaker  is currently set to  75:75
Mixer mic      is currently set to  75:75
Mixer rec      is currently set to  75:75
Recording source: mic

Any ideas on this one?  I have the line out from the brooktree card
plugged into the line-in on my motherboard.