HEADS UP: Last call for snd_hda(4) testers - High Definition Audio driver

Ariff Abdullah ariff at FreeBSD.org
Thu Sep 28 13:45:44 PDT 2006

[
 Please remove current@ and stable@ from your CC: . This mail serves
 only as an announcement (or a death threat, if you prefer that way).
]

Allright folks, I've had enough. It is time to go gold. This driver is
proven stable and works (mostly) after several weeks of testing and
bug hunting, thanks to those unfortunate unpaid victims at
#freebsd-azalia at freenode and few other unsung heroes. If you're using
previous driver, please remove it, get a latest/pristine RELENG_6 or
-CURRENT, and apply these patches:

For RELENG_6:
  http://people.freebsd.org/~ariff/test/hda_releng6.diff

For -CURRENT:
  http://people.freebsd.org/~ariff/test/hda_current.diff

While applying these patches using patch(1), DO NOT forget about "-p0"
argument. I'm getting tired with people reporting the same old "patch
failed" or "compile failed" because of this. Stick this into your
mind, forever, eternally. The proper way to apply it is like this:

  patch -d /usr/src -p0 < hda_yada.diff

You don't have to buildworld, buildkernel or any other sacrificial
ritual. Simply "cd /usr/src/sys/modules/sound/ && make clean cleandir
&& make && make install" should do the trick. Well, it is up to you,
really :)

Unfortunately, those who are still stuck with 6.1-RELEASE and earlier
had to rely on the binary driver instead. Please grab both sound.ko
and snd_hda.ko at http://people.freebsd.org/~ariff/HDA/kmod/ and
replace whatever sound.ko you have there.

HDA Driver Revision: 20060929_0025 <- see ? There are $((9999 - 25))
more iterations before it reach its equilibrium state.

Issues:
  1) SPDIF not working - I had to disable it, for now.
  2) Multichannel/surround not working - The driver tries to output
     the sound to all possible path. If you have speakers attach to
     all of them, chances are it all works, but not in a true sense of
     multichannel/surround. There are few more works left to do on the
     upper layer of the sound driver to make it works properly.
  3) Recording is broken on few hardwares - As far as I can tell, it
     should work flawlessly, but not to all. This is a bit tricky to
     handle, but I'm working on it.
  4) Pluging in headset does not mute speakers - This is easy (read
     #5)
  5) Nothing works at all - more like a null driver, isn't it?  Please
     follow the instructions from
     http://people.freebsd.org/~ariff/HDA/ . The death threat is real
     :)
  6) The driver cause panic, killing my first unborn child - nahh.. I
     don't believe this. If you're running -CURRENT, the issues are
     probably elsewhere :)

As suggested by netchild@, please report your success or failure like
this to freebsd-multimedia at FreeBSD.org:

Success
-------
Hardware/chipset: Compaq Presario V3000 series

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product?product=3190957&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&lang=en&cc=us
        Playback: Works flawlessly
       Recording: Works flawlessly
 Specific Issues: None. It works out of the box, including analog CD.
 Special request: I want to die in peace.
   Verbose dmesg:
                  pcm0: <NVidia MCP51 High Definition Audio
Controller> mem 0xc0000000-0xc0003fff irq 10 at device 16.1 on pci0
                  pcm0: <HDA Codec: Conexant Venice>
                  pcm0: <HDA Driver Revision: 20060929_0025>
                  (optional, you don't have to include those boring
                  and uneventfull kernel noises since the driver
                  already works for you)

Failure
-------
Hardware/chipset: Karipap series
                  http://www.karipap.com/
        Playback: NONE!
       Recording: NONE!
 Specific Issues: I would rather amaze if this works since it is a
                  food to begin with.
 Special request: I can donate this to you, but even so, you can buy
                  it at the nearest food stall for an RM 0.50
   Verbose dmesg:
                  (please put your verbose dmesg here or I'll send
                  another death threat to your first unborn child)

--
Ariff Abdullah
FreeBSD

... Recording in stereo is obviously too advanced
    and confusing for us idiot ***** users :P ........