Improvements in the soundsystem

Brent Casavant b.j.casavant at ieee.org
Mon Sep 25 22:47:18 PDT 2006

On Sun, 24 Sep 2006, Alexander Leidinger wrote:

> it is far from complete. And we have nobody who is interested in
> improving it. I don't have MIDI stuff myself (except maybe build-in
> stuff in the soundcard, but I have no need for it), so I'm not the
> right person to do something here (except committing stuff submitted by
> other people). Ariff is working on the generic sound stuff in his rare
> free time. There are some people which work on some audio driver
> (envy24, emu10kx), but all of them don't have much time and it doesn't
> look like they work on generic MIDI stuff. Ryan may be interested in
> it, but he is busy with classes and continuing to improve the stuff he
> did in the SoC.

I can't commit to free time right at this point, but I'm interested in
getting MIDI over serial working, and I have the equipment to test it
(Alesis QS-8).  More importantly, I'd be quite interested in making sure
that a proper infrastructure is laid out so that we can abstract away
the hardware implementation (i.e. sound card vs. serial vs. Pro MIDI I/O
card) from the application.

Brent