Intel HDA driver on Asus A8N-VM CSM

Al Muckart silver at where.else.net.nz
Thu Sep 14 01:06:54 PDT 2006

On Thursday 14 September 2006 09:40, Al Muckart wrote:

> The output issues are fixed, no squeal and the sound is great, thanks.
>
> I can't record anything though. The buzzing noise comes back when I un-mute
> the  microphone and attempts to record voice through the mic don't work.

Ok, I played with this a little more tonight, after a quick compile/test this
morning before heading to work.

This morning I had the mixer volumes set quite high, a holdover from the
emu10kx driver for the Audigy Value I'm borrowing for the moment.

Tonight I sat down for some listening and found that adjusting the mixer
(using kmix) by one "click" made the buzzing stop, one "click" back up and it
started again.

With these mixer settings I get buzzing and can hear my mouse move etc as
previously described.

[why:~]$ mixer
Mixer vol      is currently set to  54:54
Mixer pcm      is currently set to  65:65
Mixer mic      is currently set to  67:67
Mixer cd       is currently set to   0:0
Mixer rec      is currently set to  74:74
Recording source: mic

With these settings, I don't. Dropping the mic input by one percent stops the
buzzing.

[why:~]$ mixer
Mixer vol      is currently set to  54:54
Mixer pcm      is currently set to  65:65
Mixer mic      is currently set to  62:62
Mixer cd       is currently set to   0:0
Mixer rec      is currently set to  74:74
Recording source: mic

Upping  another control by one percent brought it back:

[why:~]$ mixer vol 55
Setting the mixer vol from 54:54 to 55:55.

And dropping it by one percent made it go away.

[why:~]$ mixer vol 44
Setting the mixer vol from 55:55 to 44:44.

It seems like a very binary effect and not just that it's getting
progressively more quiet until I can't hear it

--
Al.
http://where.else.net.nz