[UPDATE] RFC: snd_hda(4) -- Intel High Definition Audio driver

Ariff Abdullah ariff at FreeBSD.org
Sun Sep 10 23:08:26 PDT 2006

On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 13:16:34 +0200
Søren Schmidt <sos at freebsd.org> wrote:
> Joel Dahl wrote:
> > We've made significant progress with the snd_hda(4) driver during
> > the last week (sound is perfect on my HP NX7400, for example) and
> > a lot of credit must go to ariff@ who's been debugging the hell
> > out of a couple of systems lately.
> >
> > The current status seems to be that several people still have
> > problems with the driver though, so I'd like to stress two things:
> >
> > 1.  Make sure that you always have the latest source code from
> > http://people.freebsd.org/~ariff/HDA/ since the code is updated on
> >
> > daily basis (the directory is hidden by the index file, so date,
> > size etc does not reflect the true nature of the files there).
> >
> > 2.  Join #freebsd-azalia @ freenode and describe your problem.
> > Email is a good way to communicate, but discussing bug reports and
> > testing patches in real-time on IRC is a lot more efficient.
> >
> OK, with sources as of now I have no change in behavior, that is
> sound  still goes silent if I touch any mixer devices, and I get a
> highpitched  tone together with sound on line out, line-in and
> mic-in works fine as  outputs so I use one of those still.

For now, here is a little workaround: set hint.pcm.0.softpcmvol=1
(reload the module) and there you go. At least, you have controllable
"pcm" mixer volume. The issue is under investigation.

> Attached debug output as wanted...

Thanks.

--
Ariff Abdullah