New USB MIDI driver for FreeBSD

Sat Sep 2 11:17:43 UTC 2006

Quoting Hans Petter Selasky <hselasky at c2i.net> (Sat, 2 Sep 2006 00:04:14 +0200):

> On Monday 28 August 2006 14:52, Alexander Leidinger wrote:
> > Quoting Tom Norris <tom at trancegeek.net> (from Mon, 28 Aug 2006
> >
> > 08:30:43 -0400):

> > > You just gave me a reason to go back to FreeBSD as a desktop!  I will
> > > install 6 and your patches tonight!
> >
> > You are aware that FreeBSD 6.x does not contain a raw MIDI interface
> > for any soundcard? And I don't know if the code in -current contains a
> > _raw_ interface for the cards it supports...
>
> Yes, I know. But at least 4Front suggests a raw interface for MIDI, because it
> will allow all the commands to pass through:
>
> http://manuals.opensound.com/developer/MIDI.html
>
> I think we should go raw mode for the MIDI UART's. What do you think?

I don't use midi, I never used midi and I don't have any need for midi
in the near future. So whoever wants to take care of midi is the one
who sets the direction (but it should be done in a way so that we are
compatible with the OSS API).

> When was the MIDI code commited to current ?

# ident /usr/src/sys/dev/sound/midi/midi.c
/usr/src/sys/dev/sound/midi/midi.c:
     $FreeBSD: src/sys/dev/sound/midi/midi.c,v 1.19 2006/06/18 14:14:41 netchild Exp $

Bye,
Alexander.

--
   Weekends don't count unless you spend them doing something completely
pointless.	  -- Calvin