svideo pvr150

Rick C. Petty rick-freebsd at kiwi-computer.com
Fri Oct 27 19:55:16 UTC 2006

On Fri, Oct 27, 2006 at 08:26:39AM +0200, usleepless at gmail.com wrote:

> On 10/27/06, Kevin Downey <redchin at gmail.com> wrote:
> >the svideo on my pvr150 works fine if I run:
> >pvr250-setchannel -a on -c
>
> pardon my ignorance: what is the difference between svideo and composite?

I wasn't sure if you really needed this answered, but I'll state it here in
case others don't know.  S-video just separates the intensity from the
color signals (much like how TV is broadcast), using two pairs of wires.
Composite just combines both signals into a single pair of wires.  The
reason for separation is that the intensity (luminance) signal contains
more information (bandwidth) and that the color (chrominance) signal
overlaps some of this signal, therefore if the signals are physically
separated, the luminance signal will be cleaner.  At least, that's the
theory.

=)

-- Rick C. Petty