Please, test new port: helixplugin

Alexander Leidinger netchild at FreeBSD.org
Mon Oct 23 14:17:01 UTC 2006

Quoting Mikhail Teterin <mi+kde at aldan.algebra.com> (from Mon, 23 Oct
2006 09:43:40 -0400):

> On Monday 23 October 2006 03:59, Alexander Leidinger wrote:
> = Have a look at the way Real is distributing this for Linux or
> Solaris.  = And they do the work, not I or someone else
> @FreeBSD.org. We just have  = a look at the logs and tell them the
> cause of the problems we see. So  = we are locked to their standard
> way of distributing RealPlayer.
>
> Ah, Ok -- so you are not working on a port (in the /usr/ports sense of the
> word)...

Right.

> I don't think, Real will ever do it optimally (the way a port
> would), nor will
> they support all our architectures... They build their own libz, libbz2,
> libjpeg, for crying out loud :-)

At least I pointed out some stuff in the helixplayer patches... let's
wait what happens.

> = Have a look if a linux app (realplay) hangs in the fifoor state and
> = prevents to startup another instance of the same app.
>
> No, when the problem appears (on cbsnews.com), the states of various threads
> are "select", "piperd", "nanslp", and "pause". I think, it is CBS' own
> tricks, that confuse the plugin (maybe, they tested them on a newer version).
>
> Were you able to see, what I'm talking about? On the front page click play --

I didn't tested it. I'm at work currently (only Solaris and Windows
machines here...).

> P.S. The plugin port I posted contains a fix for one crucial bug (search for
> realloc) and some other useful stuff (vfork over fork, Gecko headers). If you
> have Real's ear, you may be able to push the fixes through :-)

Thanks for the heads-up, I try push this stuff into their hands.

Bye,
Alexander.

Remain silent about your intentions until you are sure