Skype mucking with igain on Audigy 2 value

Ion-Mihai IOnut Tetcu itetcu at FreeBSD.org
Sun Oct 22 23:38:42 UTC 2006

On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 12:29:42 +1300
Al Muckart <silver at where.else.net.nz> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm having a hellishly frustrating time trying to get a soundcard in
> my box that works with skype. I'm about ready to throw my whole box
> out the window and go buy a mac or something that Just Works.
>
> I have an Asus A8N VM CSM, with an onboard Intel HDA soundcard which
> is sadly unusable, even with Ariff's drivers. The main problem being
> that I can't record anything with it.
>
> I have disabled the onboard soundcard in BIOS and installed a
> Creative Audigy 2 value. I'm driving that using the emu10kx-20051021
> driver from ports. It works fine for playback and recording, but for
> some reason whenever skype is playing sound the igain mixer control
> drops until it is at the point where sounds recorded in the mic are
> inaudible. No other app does this so it looks like a skype issue.

Hmm, the way skype interacts with *gain is still a mystery for me.

> I've tried skype-devel out of ports, but I can't make any kind of
> call with that at all.

I know; I spent about 15 minutes today (I'm still very low on free
time)  trying to understand what's wrong with it (and discovered in the
process both ports are not completely PREFIX clean).

BOFH excuse #161:
monitor VLF leakage