Skype mucking with igain on Audigy 2 value

Al Muckart silver at where.else.net.nz
Sun Oct 22 23:29:49 UTC 2006

Hi all,

I'm having a hellishly frustrating time trying to get a soundcard in my box
that works with skype. I'm about ready to throw my whole box out the window
and go buy a mac or something that Just Works.

I have an Asus A8N VM CSM, with an onboard Intel HDA soundcard which is sadly
unusable, even with Ariff's drivers. The main problem being that I can't
record anything with it.

I have disabled the onboard soundcard in BIOS and installed a Creative Audigy
2 value. I'm driving that using the emu10kx-20051021 driver from ports. It
works fine for playback and recording, but for some reason whenever skype is
playing sound the igain mixer control drops until it is at the point where
sounds recorded in the mic are inaudible. No other app does this so it looks
like a skype issue.

I've tried skype-devel out of ports, but I can't make any kind of call with
that at all.

Can anyone offer suggestions as to what I can do to fix this?

Thanks.
--
Al.
http://where.else.net.nz