New port: pvrxxx for Hauppauge PVR150/500

R. B. Riddick arne_woerner at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 14 23:41:04 PDT 2006

--- B Briggs <rcbdyndns at bellsouth.net> wrote:
> The last time I timed it, it was 27 seconds without a prompt.

Did the whole system block during that time?
Or did it just take 27 secs until kldload completed?

> I haven't looked at the code, but maybe it could query the eeprom to see
> what the revision is, then skip the firmware upload if it doesn't need
> updating.

I wouldnt be so sure, that it has eeprom... I would guess it uses DRAM, because
it is cheaper and easier to handle...

> If the box is up 24/7 normally, the delay isn't so bad; but using
> FreeBSD, I'm just not used to that big of a lag - you're right - 'kind
> of scary'.

Maybe it is possible to continue with other things, when locking is done less
strict? Or does firmware upload require some important bus (like PCI) during
the whole time?

-Arne